Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ALA | ALA 2009 Annual Conference Registration

I am looking into attending the annual conference of the American Library Association. This year, it will be in Chicago. There are a number of topics of interest to me in the role of a Web Management Librarian, especially a pre-conference session on using web technologies (mashups and APIs) to deliver web-based library services.

ALA ALA 2009 Annual Conference Registration

Shared via AddThis

I find myself thinking back to my days at the University of Michigan School of Information. Back in late '93, we were getting our first taste of the web. I was a student in the school's first course on Internet Resource Discovery and Organization. I worked with a great fellow student, Sheryl Cormicle, to create a guide to Neuroscience resources on the web. We were only required to submit a printed listing of our guide (which we did, and which was eventually published in a book), but more importantly, we created a web-based guide. I wish it was still visible online somewhere, but 1993 might as well be 500 years ago in Internet time...

[Update]
SWEET! With a little determined searching (using Microsoft's new Bing search tool), I found a copy of it here. Sadly, it is just the text version (rather than the HTML version), but it still makes me proud to see it. Sheryl and I felt like pioneers in a new world, and seeing this artifact from that time makes me feel a little like an archaeologist who finds the intact remains of a stone-age hut beneath the streets of a 21st century city.

No comments: